Accredited Driving Instructors
Information on how to become an Accredited Driving Instructor in the Australian Capital Territory.
Who can apply to be an Accredited Driving Instructor?
To apply to become an Accredited Driving Instructor (ADI), you must:
- Be at least 21 years of age;
- Hold a current full Australian car licence or full Australian licence of a higher class;
- Be medically fit;
- Have no prior convictions for a disqualifying offence within the last five years;
- Complete Certificate IV in Driving Instruction;
- Have a Public Liability Insurance policy that insures the instructor against liability in relation to the death of, or bodily injury to a person caused by or arising out of the use of a motor vehicle for providing driver instruction and assessment. The policy must provide cover for at least $5,000,000; and
- If the instructor provides their own vehicle, it must be fitted with dual controls that have been inspected and approved by the Road Transport Authority. An engineer’s certificate will be required upon inspection.
How do I apply?
To apply to become an ADI the following documents must be completed and / or presented:
- Application to become an Accredited Driving Instructor
- Complete a Police Character Check form with a photocopy of your driver licence and a cheque or money order made payable to the Commissioner of the Australian Federal Police attached.
- Commercial Driver’s Health Assessment (must not be more than six months old from the date of sign off from your General Practitioner)
- Certificate IV in Driver Instruction
- A passport sized photograph
- Copy of your Personal Indemnity Insurance policy
- Receipt for the accreditation fee
Once you have completed and obtained the above documents, please call the ADI Auditors to arrange a time to submit your application.
How much does it cost?
An ADI accreditation can be paid for in either one year or five year payments. The fee for one year is $69.50 and for five years is $347.50.
Who can I contact about becoming an ADI?
For more information or to submit an application, please contact the ADI Auditors on (02) 6207 7171 or (02) 6207 7101.
For further Information – Contact RTA as below.
|Road Transport Authority
PO Box 582
DICKSON ACT 2602
|Dickson Motor Registry
13-15 Challis Street
DICKSON ACT 2602
|8:15 – 5:00 Monday to Friday|
|Phone for General Enquires|
|(02) 6207 7171|